Recipe by Pabbit
Like snickerdoodles, with oatmeal. This is a variation of a recipe from the January 2005 Better Homes and Gardens magazine.
Top Review by KarenT
DH made these last night while I was at Bible Study. We're taking dessert to friends' home tonight. I can't rate the making but the final result was great. Cookies were a golden brown and Y-U-M-M-Y!.
- 2 cups oats (not instant)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Grind oats in food processor until fine.
- Combine oats, flour, soda, 4 teaspoons cinnamon and cream of tartar.
- Set aside.
- Cream Crisco and sugar until light in color.
- Add eggs and vanilla and incorporate.
- Add dry ingredients in two batches, mixing well between additions.
- Combined 1/3 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Roll dough in 1 inch balls.
- Roll is sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, until set and slightly cracked.
- Cool on sheet 1 minute.
- Remove to racks and cool completely.
- Note: butterscotch chips or chocolate chips can be added to the dough, but you will loose much of the snickerdoodle effect.