Recipe by French Tart
Not really Oat Cuisine - Haute Cuisine - but I could not resist the title! These cheesy and nutty oat flapjacks are very tasty and easy to make; a savoury take on the usual sweet flapjack recipe which normally contains syrup, honey, sugar and fruit. Great for lunch box snacks as well as picnics or as an accompaniment to soups, stews and chili. Try to use a good quality mature Cheddar cheese for that essential "cheesy" zing! I have stated porridge oats, however these flapjacks are also wonderful when made with jumbo oats - which are a bit more expensive. To achieve a "full" flavour, it is essential to use both type of nuts; the peanuts give the flapjacks the savoury and almost salty flavour, whilst the pecans or walnuts give a subtle taste, texture and nutty "bite" to these little cheese, nut and oat bars! If you like your food with a bit of a kick, you can add some cayenne pepper, as I often do!
Top Review by MarraMamba
I decided to make a late night snack of flapjacks and these were fantastic!!! Using fresh pecans and roasted peanuts to go with the 4 yr old aged balderson it was heavenly. Also used herbe de provence for the herbes. Loved it!
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 ounces peanuts, roughly chopped
- 2 ounces pecans or 2 ounces walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 6 ounces mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 ounces porridge oats or 5 ounces jumbo rolled oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried herbs, OR
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped mixed herbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter and stir in the mixed nuts, grated carrot, grated cheese, oats, herbs and beaten egg - mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well. (Season with Cayenne pepper if using).
- Spoon in to a greased and lined 11" x 7" cake or baking tray.
- Press down to smooth and bake in a pre-heated oven 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the tin and then mark into bars or squares.
- Store in an airtight tin or container for up to 1 week.