Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Very good hot or cold. Serve in soups, in side dish with gravy or by itself as an appetizer or snack. I found this in a vegetarian soup cookbook around 12 years ago.
- 2⁄3 cup quick oats
- 2⁄3 cup wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 10 cups water
- Mix first 4 ingredients.
- In another bowl beat egg whites with oil, chives, salt & pepper & work into oat mixture.
- Add just enough milk to form stiff dough.
- Shape into balls 1/2-3/4 inch wide.
- Bring water to a rolling boil.
- Carefully drop each dumpling in & cook at a steady high simmer 10-15 minutes, til they rise to the surface.
- Take out with slotted spoon & serve.
- Variations:minus chives & add baco bits. Put bullion powder in water. Use leftover water for a soup base.