Recipe by PaulaG
This is a heavy, crusty bread and is great lightly toasted and served with almost anything. Especially good with a bowl of soup! The original recipe is from Oat Cuisine cookbook that I have had for years.
Top Review by CaramelPie
We enjoyed this. I did use 2 cups whole wheat flour instead of 1 whole wheat and 1 all-purpose. I also used buttermilk instead of the lemon juice & milk. Mine baked in 35 minutes and sliced easily. Thanks.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups nonfat milk (I use powder milk mixed water)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a non-stick loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well with a wire whisk.
- In a small bowl combine the lemon juice and milk.
- Let sit for 1 minute.
- Add honey to soured milk and then add to dry ingredients.
- Mix until all ingredients are moistened.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Smooth top lightly with back of spoon if desired and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake 35 minutes or until crusty and brown.
- Remove to a wire rack and cool.