- 2 cups milk, warm
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 5 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sized mixing bowl mix warm milk, yeast, brown sugar, egg, salt and rolled oats.
- Mix in 3 cups flour until well blended. This is a sponge. Allow to sit for 30 minutes until bubbly.
- Add the remainig flour, knead 5 minutes.
- Allow to rise until doubled. Punch down.
- Shape into a loaf and allow to rise again in a large loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes.
- The top will be a nice medium brown. Melt 1 tsp butter over the top. Remove from the pan and allow to cool on the counter.
- Slicing piping hot bread will allow the moisture to escape the loaf through steam, so unless you plan to eat the whole thing right then, be patient and allow your loaf to cool before enjoying.