Recipe by breezermom
This is an attempt at eating healthier, while still preserving good taste! These waffles cook up nice and fluffy, while the oat bran and whole wheat flour make them healthier. Serve with your favorite fruit or syrup.
Top Review by Annacia
I made the recipe as pancakes and they were delicious. I added a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and yummm. I cut the recipe back to a quarter amount and needed to add 3 tablespoons extra of whole wheat flour to get the consistency I wanted for thick pancakes. High health factor and lots of fiber along with the great taste. Made for Photo Tag.
- 3⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the oat bran, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour baking powder and salt.
- Combine the milk, oil, and egg yolk; add to the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; gently fold into the batter.
- Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray, and allow waffle iron to preheat. Spoon 1 1/3 cups batter onto hot waffle iron, spreading batter to edges. Bake until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.