Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an attempt at eating healthier, while still preserving good taste! These waffles cook up nice and fluffy, while the oat bran and whole wheat flour make them healthier. Serve with your favorite fruit or syrup.
- 3⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 egg whites
- Combine the oat bran, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour baking powder and salt.
- Combine the milk, oil, and egg yolk; add to the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; gently fold into the batter.
- Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray, and allow waffle iron to preheat. Spoon 1 1/3 cups batter onto hot waffle iron, spreading batter to edges. Bake until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.
I made the recipe as pancakes and they were delicious. I added a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and yummm. I cut the recipe back to a quarter amount and needed to add 3 tablespoons extra of whole wheat flour to get the consistency I wanted for thick pancakes. High health factor and lots of fiber along with the great taste. Made for Photo Tag.
Out of the world, full of whole grain flavor. The whipped egg white made the fluffy, but still full fo whole grain taste. Will certainly make these again. Made for everyday tag... thanks for a lovely change of pace.
Made recipe as posted and kept them as muffins, except I added a dash of cinnamon to these. Made these for breakfast for us, and really enjoyed them.. I am going to try as pancakes as someone else did too. Great taxture in these too. Made for 1-2-3 hits.