I got this from a Weight Watcher meeting. If made as shown, 1 mini-muffin is 0 points; full-sized muffins are 3 points, They are tasty, have a great texture, and smell wonderful when baking. There is no need to use muffin liners; these just slide right out of the pan. I know there are a ton of bran muffin recipes; I think the flax sees in this recipe makes it uniqe.
- 3 3⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1 cup brown sugar, unpacked
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 8 ounces fat free egg substitute
- 15 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 3 cups wheat flour, whole-grain
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces golden seedless raisins
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 16 ounces oat bran, uncooked
- 1 ounce flax seed
- Mix cereal, sugar, & milk. Set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients. Add eggs & applesauce. Stir into cereal mixture.
- Spray muffin tins, no liners.
- Bake 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Knife around edges if necessary to remove.
They add up to 3 points with the Points Plus system, which is pretty good for a muffin, as many on the WW website are 4 or 5.
These are quite nice (although, I don't think they are actually 0 points, at least not with the new points system). My only critique was that there were too much cloves and that dominated the flavor. I would halve the amount of cloves next time.