Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you use the low fat/low-cholesterol version (the non-fat, no yolk ingredients) of this recipe and eat 3 of these muffins everyday with a low fat/low cholesterol diet...it will help to reduce the cholesterol in your body. These also taste very good and are good for you. This is my version of a recipe from the book, "The 8 week cholesterol diet". It worked for DH and I very well. If you change the kinds of dried fruit used, it will help to keep you from getting tired of eating them. You can also substitute fruit juices for the milk to vary the flavors if you wish. DO NOT OVERBAKE!!!!
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup (such as Karo Syrup) or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (2 egg whites) or 2 whole eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups evaporated skim milk or 1 1⁄4 cups evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups oat bran (NOT OATMEAL)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried fruit (your choice)
- Put all wet ingredients in a bowl and stir.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Place muffin paper cups into a muffin pan and fill each 1/2 to 2/3 full of batter.
- Note** this works best with papers due to the lack of fat in the recipe.
- Bake 425 degrees for 15-17 minutes.
- DO NOT OVER BAKE (due to the lack of fat they will be too dry if over baked).