Recipe by justcallmetoni
I recently tried PaulaG’s Pumpkin Fruit and Nut Muffins (#116356) and loved the wonderful moistness given to these by the apricots and raisins. So much so, I went looking through my cookbooks for recipes that might capture that same delightful quality. The original comes from “The 250 Best Muffin Recipes” but I’ve already started tweaking it a bit here. This has been updated since Roosie's review.
- 473.18 ml oat bran
- 59.14 ml oatmeal, regular not instant
- 118.29 ml mixed dried fruit (if you can't find pre-mixed dried fruit, make your own combination or use raisins)
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 0.59 ml nutmeg
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2 egg whites
- 236.59 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 78.07 ml brown sugar (use a half cup if you like your muffins sweeter)
- 118.29 ml low-fat buttermilk (or use 1/3 cup non-fat yogurt plus skim milk to level it off to 1/2 cup)
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180c).
- In one bowl combine all of the dry ingredients – oat bran, oatmeal, fruit, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a second bowl, lightly beat the egg whites by hand. Whisk in the yogurt, oil, applesauce and brown sugar. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just mix. Do not over beat as it will result in a tough lumpy muffin.
- Spoon batter into lightly sprayed muffin tin. (Use paper liners if you prefer.) Bake 33 to 38 minutes, toothpick should be clean.