Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Wonderfully Healthy Flavorful Low-Fat Bread Diabetic exchange 1/2 starch/bread 1 fruit
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄3 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Spray 9x5x3 inch loaf pan with pan spray.
- Mix oat bran, dates,dry milk, molasses, hot water, butter and egg substitute in large bowl; Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Spread into prepared pan, bake 30-40 minutes; until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes, loosen sides; remove from pan let cool completely before slicing.
This bread has a good flavor to it. It's a very dense fiber-rich bread. I liked the oat bran/date combination. Thanks for posting this one.
This is a very solid recipe that helps clear up the bad PR bran products often get LOL! I was very tempted to make this as muffins and next time I think I will; the bread was great though. I love the use of dates and molasses as sweeteners instead of tons of sugar. I didn't have any cardamom so I used pinches of nutmeg and clove, which worked just fine. Thanks for posting! Made for Healthy Choices ABC tag.
I loved this recipe. I used a cup of steel cut oats and a cup of "Fiber One" cereal w/ fat free yogurt and a bit of mashed banana as an egg sub. The spices this recipe calls for are an awesome combo - the amount of cinnamon freaked me out for a minute, but along with the ginger and cardamom it became the most delicious blend of sweet heat that played very nicely along with the different quality of sweetness that the molasses and dates have naturally. The loaf has the richest looking brown color, so the presentation is impressive as well. I loved the sweetness contrasting with the the hearty nuttiness of the bran and whole wheat. Thanks for this recipe LDJ it is DIVINE!!!