Recipe by jillbunten
A healthy breakfast bread (can also be made into muffins) that is a nice alternative to a coffee cake.
Top Review by ladypit
It was not easy selling this as an alternative to coffee cake to my family, to be honest. But when I drizzled a little extra honey on top they were willing to happily consume it. Truth be told, I thought it was a bit dry without the honey on top. But a nice dense sweet bread.
- 1 1⁄2 cups oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 -2 drop lemon extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Use nonstick cooking spray to coat a 10 inch glass pie pan. Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oat bran, flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a small sauce pan, warm the honey and butter over low heat until the butter melts.
- Beat the eggs lightly in a mixing bowl. Blend in the water, oil, hone/butter mixture and lemon extract. Add the liquid ingredients and stir just until blended. Bake in prepared pan for 25 minutes.