Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A healthy breakfast bread (can also be made into muffins) that is a nice alternative to a coffee cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 -2 drop lemon extract
- Use nonstick cooking spray to coat a 10 inch glass pie pan. Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oat bran, flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a small sauce pan, warm the honey and butter over low heat until the butter melts.
- Beat the eggs lightly in a mixing bowl. Blend in the water, oil, hone/butter mixture and lemon extract. Add the liquid ingredients and stir just until blended. Bake in prepared pan for 25 minutes.
It was not easy selling this as an alternative to coffee cake to my family, to be honest. But when I drizzled a little extra honey on top they were willing to happily consume it. Truth be told, I thought it was a bit dry without the honey on top. But a nice dense sweet bread.