Recipe by Toosweet
This is great for those who want to add more fiber to their diet and it tastes sooooo good. A winning combination.
Top Review by jimprieger
This makes a great loaf. Even my fussy daughter loved it. I used a bread machine, used oat bran, and used 1 cup + 2 T liquid. Notwithstanding others' comments, don't be afraid to add the brown sugar. While cheap brown sugar is indeed just white sugar sprayed with molasses, C&H isn't.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup water or 1 cup milk
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup natural bran
- 1⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm water/ milk to lukewarm temperature.
- Melt shortening.
- Warm mixer bowl with warm water.
- Dissolve yeast in a little water.
- Add water/milk and shortening.
- Add salt and sugar.
- Add flour and bran.
- Stir all ingredients for 30 sec.
- Mix on Speed 2 for 2 minutes or until elastic.
- Dough should be moist. If it looks dry add water as needed but not more than 1/4 cup.
- Place dough in greased bowl and cover.Allow dough to double in size (approx 1 hour).
- Punch down and form into a loaf, allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease large loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- I used a Kitchen Aid Mixer to mix this dough so if using a different mixer you may need to use different settings.