Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 min
A healthy and naturally low calorie delicious blend of oat bran and berries mixed into a waffle batter that turns a deep red purple from the berries. Great topped with applesauce, maple syrup and/or whip cream!
- 1 3⁄4 cups oat bran (oats can also be used if desired)
- 1 cup berries (blackberries, raspberries, chopped strawberries, blueberries)
- 2 cups soymilk (may vary with how thick or thin you want it)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil (ex. extra light virgin olive oil, grape seed oil, walnut oil)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed (ground)
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- Combine the oat bran or oats and milk in a medium bowl and let it stand for about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and mix it evenly. If the batter is too runny then add more oat bran, oats, or whole wheat flour until the batter becomes thicker. (If you’re making pancakes then the batter does not need to be as thick.).
- Be sure to spray the waffle iron and keep in there for about a minute, adding about 5-10 seconds longer for each waffle.
- Top with applesauce, berries, whip cream and/or pure maple syrup, honey or berry/fruit flavored apple sauce would be good, too.