Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
These got top ratings from my brothers, the muffin maniacs. And they're made with honey and whole wheat flour, so my mom loved them too! They are golden on the outside, moist on the inside, and look and smell just like "bakery" bran muffins. Enjoy! The original recipe is from Hodgson Mill: I made a few changes (as I always do) in order to make them a bit healthier.
- 3 cups oat bran
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups applesauce, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1 cup honey
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Mix in remaining ingredients, stirring until completely combined (don't overmix them, though).
- Spoon batter into 24 greased muffin cups, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Bake muffins 15 minutes at 400 degrees, or until they are golden brown and test done; remove from pans and cool on rack.
High-rising, and definitely picture-pretty. I found these to be a bit dense, though. I think they might be better if you substitute some of the applesauce (maybe 1/2 cup?) with buttermilk or milk. Not dry, but not very moist either. I resisted an urge to add some raisins or some flavoring (like vanilla extract or cinnamon) because I hoped that the honey flavor would show through, but it didn't really. I think these would be good if you like your muffins split and buttered. Overall, an okay recipe for bran muffins, but certainly not the best.
These muffins were just okay. I will not make them again.
These are fantastic! Very tasty and everyone in the family loved them! Nice breakfast to go with my tea in the morning. Thanks for making my first try at a bran muffin, something I will do again!