Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
I found this recipe in a health book I was reading.
Make and share this Oat Bran Apple Cinnamon Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄4 cups oat bran
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix the milk, apple-juice concentrate, egg whites, and oil in a bowl or blender.
- Add to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the chopped apple and walnuts.
- Spray muffin pan with Pam spray and fill with batter.
- Bake in 425 F.
- oven for 17 minutes.
- Makes 12 muffins.
- After cooking, store in large plastic bag to retain moisture and softness.
- Great served with applesauce or apple butter.
I have been using this same recipe from "The 8-week Cholesterol Cure" book. I love that I can double the batch and freeze them. I am on a mission to keep my cholesterol down with medication. My doctor has supported this endeavor. I won't know for awhile how I'm doing, but these muffins are a part of that process. Healthy and yummy, what more can you ask for? Oh, and you may find that the batter seems runny. You can put it in the pan like that or let it sit for awhile and it will thicken as the moisture is absorbed by the oat bran. Either way has been fine for me. I buy the oat bran in bulk at Whole Foods, but you can also buy boxes of Oat Bran cereal and it works the same.
Not a fan of any kind of muffins - these were easy to fix, very moist. I used a new foil lined muffin / cupcake cooking thingy. You don't need a muffin/ cupcake pan, just a regular cookie sheet. The foil allows the mixture to stand on it's own. After baking, the foil cup peeled off - I kept them to use again - I'll just reline them with the regular cupcake liners of the olden days. Interesting experience all the way around. Try it - you'll like it.
Love this Recipe!! I really helped my husband and I bring down our cholesterol!! and they taste good too. VERY high in Fiber