Prep 20 mins
Cook 13 mins
A hearty, dense muffin that is healthier than most. Be sure to run the oat bran thru the blender before measuring; it makes it more like flour. Grind the nuts in a nut grinder. Do NOT use white, unbleached flour. It is hard to tell from looking at them if they are done, as they do not turn golden brown. They are similar to the color of milk chocolate both baked and unbaked.
- 1 1⁄4 cups oat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 3⁄8 cup honey
- 1⁄8 cup light molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven too 375 degrees.
- Grease and flour 12 holes of a large muffin tin.
- Mix the first six ingredients in a bowl; set aside and work on the wet items.
- In a second bowl beat the eggs, add the vanilla.
- Mix in the oil and then honey and molasses. Stir until well mixed. Add buttermilk. Mix.
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl containing the dry ingredients. Mix until combined, but don't over stir it.
- Blend in walnuts that have been chopped small and raisins.
- Spoon into the tins about 3/4 full.
- Bake 15 minutes. If unsure of the exact temperature of your oven, try 13 minutes. They get 'dry' if you over bake them.
- Serve warm with butter.