Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe source: Great Cooking Every Day. This is an old WW cookbook but the points plus value is around 5 points plus/serving
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried fruit, chopped
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 3⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 banana, mashed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray or line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a food processor combine the 8 ingredients (dried fruit - cinnamon). Pulse until mixture is blended and then transfer to a bowl.
- In another bowl combine the remainder of the ingredients (milk - orange peel). Add the milk mixture to the dried fruit mixture and stir to blend.
- spoon batter into the muffin cups, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until muffins are done. Remove to a rack and let cool 10 minutes before serving or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze.
I love this recipe, really. I used dried apple which is, of course, well paired with the cinnamon. Not having any orange juice in the house I used the same amount of water with brandy extract added (yum). You will need to let the mix sit for 20/25 mins to allow the liquid to be absorbed enough to make a batter. I got 10 double sized muffins that needed to be baked for almost 20 mins. My oven was set at 380 because it runs hot. They look rustic, and are down home good, as well as being good for you. :D