Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a slight variation on a Company's Coming recipe. I've substituted frozen blueberries for currants.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar, to sprinkle on top
- Mix 1st 5 ingredients in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- In another bowl beat egg, mix in butter and milk. Pour into well in dry ingredients, add blueberries and stir to make a soft dough. Form either into 16 individual rolls or two 6-7 inch circles scored on top into 8 pie-shaped wedges. Transfer to baking sheet & sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes until risen and browned.
- Makes 16 scones.
Oh my! These Scones are VERY, VERY TASTY! I made them for breakfast this morning and they were so easy and quick to put together and tasted so good! I especially liked the combination of the fruit with the oats. The scones also had a great texture-a bit crumblier than I am used to in scones, but really flaky and nice. Yum! Instead of using 2 cups oats, I used 1 1/2 cups oats and 1/2 cup oat bran. That way the scones were a little less crumbly. I used baking powder as stated in the instructions and NO baking soda (as there is none mentioned) and the amount was just perfect. No problems there. The dough was easy to work with and the scones came out perfectly. Thanks so much for sharing this LOVELY recipe with us, Sameveel!
Is it possible that Lola Belle used baking soda instead of baking POWDER??
awful. too much baking soda.