Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Hearty and delicious, a combination of a bunch of bread recipes into something wonderful that I make every two weeks at least.
- Take one cup warm water, combine yeast and sugar, set aside.
- The remaining 3 cups of water should be (tap) hot. Add oil, molasses, flax, sunflower seeds, oats, and salt.
- Mix in whole wheat flower.
- Mix in yeast mixture which should have risen nicely.
- Knead in white flour, adding until it is no longer sticky but is still soft.
- Allow to rise covered for an hour and a half, turning under every half hour.
- Divide into three large loaf pans, heat oven to 375'F, allow to rise in pans until oven heats up.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet! We make this every time we have a hearty soup....it's wonderful & crusty and we love sunflower seeds in bread. It's just so good my kids fight over the crust ends
Marvellous Bread! I have made this twice now & love the texture & taste! I have halved the recipe & had wonderful results (even though I always "space out" & add the whole recipe alliquot of flax seed & nuts, LOL). I make the dough in my trusty old Panasonic bread machine using "raisin dough" setting so I can add the sunflower seeds (read pepitos or pecans, substitutes out of necessity that work great!) & not have them get broken into too tiny bits. I also add a couple of tablespoons of vital wheat gluten so the bread will last abit longer for the two of us (won't be a problem with houseguests around - this bread is too tempting to resist - warm & fresh, toasted or used for sandwiches - it is incredibly tasty). I make 2 smaller loaves, put a wash of heavy cream & slash them with a little utility knife before the final rise. Added bonus, the loaves are really pretty too! Thank you Garden Girl for this lovely reliable recipe (will try with sunflower seeds when I use up the bits & pieces of other nuts in the pantry first - I promise!!)