Prep 3 hrs
Cook 40 mins
This produces a moist even textured loaf. My family loved it!
- 1 large potato
- 140 ml warm water, from cooking potatoes
- 280 ml milk
- 7.39 ml dried yeast
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 22.18 ml oil
- 700 g flour
- 14.79 ml salt
- 150 g rolled oats
- Cook potato in enough water to cover.
- Drain, retaining the water.
- Measure 140 ml of potato water into a small bowl and set aside to cool to lukewarm. Don't discard the rest of the potato water - to this add the oats to soften.
- Mash the potato well with a little of the milk.
- When the potato water in the small bowl has cooled to lukewarm, add the yeast. Set this aside until it has a good frothy "head".
- Mix remainder of milk and oil together.
- Sift flour and salt into large bowl and make a well in centre.
- Add the milk and oil, the mashed potato, frothy yeast, and the softened oats.
- Mix well and knead until smooth and elastic - more flour may be needed but try to keep the dough as soft as possible.
- Set aside to rise until double in size.
- Knock back and knead very lightly.
- Allow to rise a further 30 minutes and then divide into three and form into cob loaves.
- Glaze with beaten egg and sprinkle with your choice of topping. I use either sesame seeds, poppy seeds or oats.
- Bake 220 celsius for about 40 minutes.