1/2 Photos of Oat and Potato Bread
3 hrs 40 mins
This produces a moist even textured loaf. My family loved it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook potato in enough water to cover.
- 2Drain, retaining the water.
- 3Measure 140 ml of potato water into a small bowl and set aside to cool to lukewarm. Don't discard the rest of the potato water - to this add the oats to soften.
- 4Mash the potato well with a little of the milk.
- 5When the potato water in the small bowl has cooled to lukewarm, add the yeast. Set this aside until it has a good frothy "head".
- 6Mix remainder of milk and oil together.
- 7Sift flour and salt into large bowl and make a well in centre.
- 8Add the milk and oil, the mashed potato, frothy yeast, and the softened oats.
- 9Mix well and knead until smooth and elastic - more flour may be needed but try to keep the dough as soft as possible.
- 10Set aside to rise until double in size.
- 11Knock back and knead very lightly.
- 12Allow to rise a further 30 minutes and then divide into three and form into cob loaves.
- 13Glaze with beaten egg and sprinkle with your choice of topping. I use either sesame seeds, poppy seeds or oats.
- 14Bake 220 celsius for about 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oat and Potato Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1680 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1263.8
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 12.7 mg
- Sodium 2387.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 239.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.5 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 36.9 g