A nice scone recipe that I adapted from the Joy of Baking web site. I reduced the fat and switched to whole wheat flour and natural sugar... my family loves them and hope yours does, too! :) Also, I usually 'make' my own buttermilk by adding 2/3 Tablespoon lemon juice to 2/3 cup of skim milk.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 177.44 ml white whole wheat flour
- 78.07 ml natural cane sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 3.69 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 88.74 ml unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 177.44 ml old fashioned oats
- 78.07 ml dried cranberries
- 4.92 ml orange zest (zest from one orange ~ but you can use less, to taste)
- 158.51 ml skim milk buttermilk
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2Place the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- 3Add the butter using a two knives or pastry blender. Cut the butter in until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- 4Add the oats, cranberries, and zest. Mix together until combined.
- 5Stir in the buttermilk just until the dough comes together.
- 6Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead four or five times. Pat or roll the dough into a circle that is about 10 inches across (about 1 1/2 inches thick).
- 7Cut the circle into 8 triangular sections (like slicing a pie or pizza). Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet.
- 8Make the egg wash by mixing the egg and milk together. Brush some over the top of each scone. There will be egg wash left over (we always use this to start a batch of scrambled eggs -- ).
- 9Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 10Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oat and Cranberry Scones
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.2
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 50.1 mg
- Sodium 270.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 6.4 g