Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a GREAT dish that freezes very well! This recipe will make one 9x13 or two 8x8 pans. So nice to have in the freezer and pop in the oven! Great served with crusty garlic bread and a fresh green salad.
- 1 lb spaghetti (more or less)
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 (26 ounce) jars Prego spaghetti sauce
- 2 eggs
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook spaghetti till just al dente, drain.
- Brown sausage or hamburger, you may want to mix in some garlic and onion if desired, then drain well.
- Beat eggs, then mix with parsley and ricotta cheese.
- Mix spaghetti noodles and spaghetti sauce with the sausage.
- Layer half the noodle mix in a 9x13 pan (or 2 8x8 pans) then spread with ricotta mixture, sprinkling on 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese.
- Top with remaining spaghetti mix.
- Sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
- (To freeze, cover with heavy duty foil and freeze in pan. To reheat, thaw overnight in refrigerator and bake at 350, uncovered, until warm through--about 45-50 min).
- To bake now, put in preheated 350 oven and bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
We enjoyed this! I made 2 in disposable pie plates and froze them both. (I did have to freeze and cook on a cookie sheet since there was some spillage.) I used turkey sausage and homemade sauce. These were easy to put together on a Saturday and made a nice dinner from the freezer. Thanks.
I agree that you would definitely want to divide this between two pans. I did mine in the 9X13 pan and it took much longer to heat through than the recipe stated. I agree, not one of my favorites from an investment cooking standpoint.
Easy to prepare but kinda bland made with hamburger. I would definately stick with the Italian sausage when making it. Also use the 8X8 pans, the 9X13 is enough food to feed a family of 22. I let mine cool quite a bit then sliced it in serving pieces with a sharp knife so that the Ricotta chess layer shows when serving. Kinda pretty. This isn't one of my favorites but it's OK.