Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe that can be made to eat that day, refrigerated for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, defrost overnight in the fridge. Bake in a 350* oven until cheese is bubbling, about 15 minutes.
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 small flour tortillas
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) jar taco sauce
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) packagecooked chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375*. In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups cheddar with the monterey jack and set aside.
- Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoons olive oil. Arrange 6 tortillas on the sheet so that the surface is covered, overlapping as needed. Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese evenly over the tortillas, leaving a 1/2-inch border on all sides; cover with the remaining 6 tortillas, overlapping as needed. Prick the top layer with a fork and bake until the tortillas begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until golden-brown, about 10 minutes. Add the beans and 1/4 cup water and mash until the beans are soft and the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the bean mixture over the tortillas, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with the taco sauce, chilies, chorizo and reserved cheese mixture. Bake until the cheese is melted, 25 to 30 minutes.