This freezes well either in a baking pan or in a freezer bag. UPDATED 6-09: CORRECTED DIRECTIONS TO SHOW WHEN TO ADD MILK.
- 1 (8 ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Saute ham and onion in a large non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 5 minutes; stir in peas and next 3 ingredients. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Add milk, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese, stirring until melted.
- Stir in cooked pasta and ham mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Serve immediately.