Recipe by Brian Holley
Malayan rice dish. Good with almost any B.B.q. food.
Top Review by RotiJala
One cup of cooked rice is not enough to serve four. I'd increase it to 3 or 4 cups if I'm serving four diners. Also, I'd reduce the dark sauce to 1 tsp and instead add 1 tsp of veggie or chicken stock powder while frying the rice - to keep things dry (less soggy) and more aromatic. Otherwise, a very tasty dish!
- 1 cup long grain rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoon dried prawns
- 2 fresh red chilies
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 5 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the prawns in water for 30 mins, drain them. Chop the prawns.
- Pound the shallots set aside. Pound the garlic and set aside.
- Pound the chillies, set aside.
- Heat a deep frying pan and add the sesame oil. When the oil is hot fry the shallots and garlic.
- Reduce the heat and add the chillies and prawns, stir 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp paste, stir till it dissolves.
- Add the cooked rice and the soy sauces, stir to mix the ingredients . Set the pan aside.
- In a wok, heat 3 tbsp oil, when hot add the egg and cover it with the rice, cook till the egg is just cooked. Fry the whole, mixing the egg into the rice.
- Add the spring onion and season with salt to taste.