Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From The African Cookbook by Bea Sandler
Make and share this Nyama Na Irio (Steak and Irio) Kenya recipe from Food.com.
- Mix together mashed potatoes with corn, peas, butter, salt and pepper.
- Sauté meat in oil until browned.
- Remove steak and add flour to the oil. Make a light brown roux.
- Add beef broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place a mound of potatoes on the plate, cover with steak and gravy.
A very nice and simple to prepare meat and potato dish. Definitely comfort food. I made half the recipe using the tail end of a whole tenderloin I'd saved in the freezer. While this part of the tenderloin has a lot of fat and silverskin woven through it, the bite size tenderloin pieces I cut from it were tender and perfect for this recipe.