Recipe from NY Times...AMAZING!!! Wonderfully paired squash with ricotta cheese, the onions make this TO-DIE-FOR! Originally made for thanksgiving, but it's my favorite go to appetizer, perfect for impressing anyone! This is perfect on no-need bread. May use any yellow-fleshed squash: kamboucha, butternut, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into pieces 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes, more to taste
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 slices country bread, 1-inch thick
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese or 1/2 cup goat cheese or 1/2 cup feta or 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 1Heat the oven to 450. Combine the squash, 1/4 cup olive oil, chili flakes and 2 teaspoons of salt in a bowl and toss well. Transfer the mixture to a parchment-lined baking sheet and cook, stirring every few minutes, until tender and slightly colored, about 15 minutes or a little longer. Remove from the oven.
- 2Meanwhile, heat another 1/4 cup olive oil over medium-high heat, add the onions and remaining teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are well softened and darkening, at least 15 minutes. Add the vinegar and syrup, stir and reduce until syrupy and broken down, again at least 15 minutes or so; the mixture should be jammy. Instead of browning onions on the stove top, you can place them into a crock pot, set on low, and cook overnight.
- 3Combine squash and onions in a bowl and smash with a fork until combined. Taste for seasoning.
- 4Add the remaining oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, add bread and cook until just golden on both sides, less than 10 minutes total; drain on paper towels. Spread cheese on toasts, then top with the squash-onion mixture. Sprinkle with coarse salt and garnish with mint.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for NY Times Squash on Toast
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 792.5
- Calories from Fat 414
- Total Fat 46.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.6 mg
- Sodium 2261.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 21.1 g
- Protein 14.3 g