Recipe by zeldamet
From The New York Times, via cousin Michelle in Israel - thank you!
Top Review by Kishka
Excellent pecan pie - perfect texture and just the right kind of sweet. I have made this many times and it took a while to get the hang of tempering the egg so it didn't scramble when you added the hot sugar mixture (a couple of times some of the eggs did get a bit cooked, but you couldn't tell in the finished product), but it's worth it. Great recipe!
- 1 pie shell
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pecans, broken
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375, parbake pie shell until golden.
- In a saucepan, bring the corn syrup, sugar and salt to a boil over high heat until the sugar dissolves (about 2 minutes).
- Very slowly, pour in a thin stream into the beaten eggs while stirring vigorously.
- Add the vanilla, margarine and pecans to the mixture and pour into prepared pie shell.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until puffed.