1/1 Photo of Ny Style Pizza Dough
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I've tried many different pizza dough recipe's and none of them give me a dough ball that I can toss and stretch like what you can buy in the store (or what I was used to when I worked at Papa Gino's). I like my pizza dough thin, but not crunchy. This dough takes some prep, but has some real promise. I've only made it once and used 1/2 wheat flour - but I think that made the dough just a little too tough. The directions call for a pizza stone - but you can use a pizza pan too. For the sauce - I love the simple and tasty sauce of Pizza Dough and Sauce ! Watch the cooking time - 20 minutes might be too much !!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and salt in water.
- 2Add oil and flour and stir with heavy spoon for 1 minute.
- 3Turn out to a lightly floured surface and press into a circle.
- 4Sprinkle yeast evenly over dough and knead for 12 minutes.
- 5Divide dough into portions: 6 oz. for Calzones, 18 oz. for 12 inch, 25 oz. for 15 inch.
- 6Roll each portion into a ball. You want a dough ball without visible seams except the bottom.
- 7Place dough balls in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to proof for 1 to 2 hours at room temperature to use the same day, or store in refrigerator to use the next day.
- 8Place dough ball on lightly floured surface, and lightly flour the top. Use fingertips to evenly flatten out the dough ball. Work from the edges to the center press dough into a 12" circle. Place both hands within the shell edge and stretch with fingertips and palms maintaining an even pressure. Or, use a lightly floured rolling pin to stretch to desired shape.
- 9Sprinkle cornmeal or semolina on pizza peel (a wooden paddle with a handle to slide the pizza in the oven) or a cutting board. The cornmeal allows the pizza to slide onto the stone easily.
- 10After topping the pizza, when you are ready to cook it. Shake the peel or cutting board to make sure none of the dough is sticking.
- 11Carefully slide the pizza into the oven.
- 12Bake in a 500 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until crust is golden.
Browse Our Top Northeastern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Northeastern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ny Style Pizza Dough
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.5
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1463.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 121.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 15.9 g