Recipe by Starfire (aka Wendy)
Here is my latest recipe for breakfast. I was hungry and had left overs in my fridge. Hummus, canadian bacon, peper jack cheese, a box of egg whites, frozen pita bread, string cheese. Since I was pretty hungry I decided to take a stab at a muffin like breakfast. The result in my mind worked really well and I will keep it on rotation in my household. Make a Super easy and fast breakfast and while it might be totally low it is lower in calories than the sauce mc something you might be buying this morning!
- 1 pita whole wheat
- 6 tablespoons hummus
- 2 mozzarella string cheese, pieces
- 1⁄4 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 2 pieces Canadian bacon
- 1⁄4 cup egg white
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon graunlated minced onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- 1 pita pocket (split in half) If frozen cook for 5 minutes on hi first and then split (to defrost makes it easier).
- To the eggs I added - a dash of minced onions, (reconstituted works well), a small dash of granulated garlic, a dash of pepper, paprika and hot pepper flakes.
- cook egg whites (I cooked per my nuwave directions seperately and a bit less time than normal (prior to being done).
- Topping the pita: Split in half if you have not already done so - add 2-3 tablespoons on hummus to each of the pita bread - spread hummus on the inside part of the pita and then add: string cheese and wait for eggs to be done. Once egg is mostly done 3/4 of the way done add to top of pita, top with Canadian bacon and top with pepper jack cheese. Cook for 3-4 mintues on hi. You can add a bit longer but I used 4 minutes so my eggs would not get hard. When you cook it with the canadian bacon the eggs will still cook a bit. But you are really heating up the muffin.
- This might not be completely low fat but it hit the spot this morning!