Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you love fried chicken but need it "lighter", then try this recipe. It's a great balance of healthy and flavor. Look forward to hearing comments on how to make it better!
- 1. Place 4 thawed pieces of chicken in a Ziploc bag. Add one tablespoon of Ranch dressing mix(or other seasoning as desired) to bag and shake in order to coat chicken. Add 1/2 cup of low-fat buttermilk to Ziploc. Remove excess air and close bag. Let refrigerate overnight. (This step can be skipped if time is an issue. Skip to step 2.
- 2. When chicken is marinated, set up the dipping bowls.
- 1st Bowl-1 egg and one egg white (Whisked well).
- 2nd Bowl- 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs mixed with 2 tablespoons of dry Ranch Dressing mix (or other seasoning) and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt.
- Spray the 4" rack (3" if using Elite) generously with cooking spray. This prevents the coating from sticking to rack.
- 3. Let milk drip off pieces and beginning one at a time, roll them in the egg mix. Once covered, move piece to breading bowl.
- 4. Put one piece at a time in breading bowl and shake around until well-covered.
- 5. Place chicken on 4" rack (3" if using Elite) with the main skin sides down. Spray chicken generously with butter cooking spray. This will allow the chicken to crisp up and keep crumbs from flying around in the oven.
- 6. Set for 15 minutes at Power Level High (350 degrees for Elite) and start. When done, flip pieces over and set for another 15 minutes at Power Level High. If you desire crispier chicken, set the Elite for 375 degrees.
- *It is important to remove the dome as soon as the timer beeps. This will keep the chicken from getting soggy from all of the steam.