Recipe by ThatCaptJim
A variation on theme, riffed from a few other similar recipes I've seen. I'm sure it probably has a proper dish name, but 'Nutty Wilted Lettuce Pasta' is a sight better than 'I accidentally froze the baby lettuce salad mix and need to find something to do with it'.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pasta shells
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large scallions, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 dash red pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 3 cups mixed baby greens
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot of very salty water, set pasta to boil.
- Toast almonds in a low oven (about 200F), and keep a close eye on them.
- Heat olive oil to shimmering, then add scallions and garlic; cook until translucent.
- Reduce heat and add lettuce, cooking until beginning to wilt.
- Add pasta and a spoonful or two of the salty water, along with red pepper sauce.
- Add parmesean cheese, and stir. Liquids should begin to form a thin sauce.
- Reduce until lettuce is thoroughly wilted and sauce has thickened up. Add a little hot pasta water if it's too thick.
- Sprinkle with toasted almonds and freshly ground black pepper and enjoy with a slice of thick, crusty bread.