Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a moist carrot cake with a nutty flavour that is sure to knock you off your feet!
- 275 g carrots, peeled and grated
- 5 eggs, separated,whites beaten stiff
- 300 g sugar
- 10 g fresh lemon rind, grated
- 300 g blanched almonds, ground
- 60 g all-purpose flour
- 5 g baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Pre heat oven to 220 degrees C.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar well.
- Add lemon rind, ground almonds and carrots.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Add to the carrot mixture.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Pour the batter into a well greased and floured tin (20cm round).
- Bake in an oven for 50 minutes.
- When done, turn out and leave to cool.
- Dust with icing sugar.
- Decorate as you like and serve.