Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
These individual-serving entrées can be made ahead, and then reheated just before serving. Salting the eggplant before cooking it eliminates any potential bitterness.
- 3 medium eggplants (about a pound each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons olive oil (yes 2 TBS tsp)
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups tomatoes, rough chopped (about the size of 1/2 cherry tomato)
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (divided)
- 3 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- lemon wedge, for garnish (optional)
- Halve eggplants lengthwise, and scoop out flesh and seeds, leaving 1/2-inch-thick edges on eggplants’ shells. Cut scooped-out flesh into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Sprinkle eggplant pieces and inside of eggplant shells with salt. Let stand 25 to 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant shells and pieces in cold water, and pat dry.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop eggplant shells in water, and simmer 5 to 8 minutes, or until barely tender when pierced with fork. Drain in colander, cool, and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions 3 minutes, or until translucent, add garlic and sauté one more minute.
- Add the eggplant pieces, tomatoes, walnuts, cinnamon, chili powder, cumin, and 1/4 cup water. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook 8 minutes, or until vegetables are softened and browned, stirring occasionally. (sometimes if it looks way to moist from over juice tomatoes I will add a 1/4 cup bread crumbs, the other 1/4 cup is for the toping).
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Toss breadcrumbs with 4 teaspoons olive oil in bowl and set aside.
- Brush each eggplant shell with 1/2 teaspoon oil, and place cut-side up on baking sheet. Broil 5 minutes, or until tender and starting to brown. Reduce oven heat to 375°F.
- Divide filling among eggplant shells. Sprinkle each stuffed eggplant with breadcrumb mixture, and top with feta cheese. Bake 35 minutes, or until heated through and browned on top.
- Serve with lemon wedges.