1/4 Photos of Nutty Rice Burgers
A Good Thing's Note:
These are fantastic burgers you can do on the grill or in the oven. Very tasty, filling, and healthy. I've made these on numerous occasions and the kids just love them. So does the man of the house. Half of the prep time is for cooking the brown rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 100 g mushrooms, chopped finely
- 8 cups cooked brown rice
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 75 g walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons brown fruit sauce (or sweet thai chili sauce)
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- oil, to baste
- 6 slices cheese (optional)
- 1Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions for 3-4 minutes until they just begin to soften.
- 2Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- 3Remove the pan from the heat and mix the rice, breadcrumbs, walnuts, egg and sauces into the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- 4Shape the mixture into 6 burgers. I wet my hands in between burgers as this cuts down on the amount of mixture which sticks to your hands.
- 5Chill burgers in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- 6Grill burgers on an oiled rack over medium coals/heat for 5-6 minutes on each side, turning once and frequently basting with oil.
- 7If you don't want to use the grill, place burgers on an oiled baking sheet and bake in a fairly hot oven (around 350F) for approximately 10 minutes per side. Remember to baste as this will create a nice outer "shell" for the burgers.
- 8If you like, top the burgers with a slice of cheese 2 minutes before the end of cooking.
- 9Grill onions and tomato slices if desired or eat them fresh.
- 10Toast the sesame seed buns on the side of the grill or in the oven until toasted and warm.
- 11Serve the burgers in the toasted buns together with onions and tomatoes.
- 12From the "Essential Cooking Vegetarian".
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nutty Rice Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.0
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 343.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 15.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: