Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are fantastic burgers you can do on the grill or in the oven. Very tasty, filling, and healthy. I've made these on numerous occasions and the kids just love them. So does the man of the house. Half of the prep time is for cooking the brown rice.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 100 g mushrooms, chopped finely
- 8 cups cooked brown rice
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 75 g walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons brown fruit sauce (or sweet thai chili sauce)
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- oil, to baste
- 6 slices cheese (optional)
- 6 hamburger buns with sesame seeds
- 1 slice onion
- 1 slice tomatoes
- green salad leaves
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions for 3-4 minutes until they just begin to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix the rice, breadcrumbs, walnuts, egg and sauces into the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Shape the mixture into 6 burgers. I wet my hands in between burgers as this cuts down on the amount of mixture which sticks to your hands.
- Chill burgers in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Grill burgers on an oiled rack over medium coals/heat for 5-6 minutes on each side, turning once and frequently basting with oil.
- If you don't want to use the grill, place burgers on an oiled baking sheet and bake in a fairly hot oven (around 350F) for approximately 10 minutes per side. Remember to baste as this will create a nice outer "shell" for the burgers.
- If you like, top the burgers with a slice of cheese 2 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Grill onions and tomato slices if desired or eat them fresh.
- Toast the sesame seed buns on the side of the grill or in the oven until toasted and warm.
- Serve the burgers in the toasted buns together with onions and tomatoes.
- From the "Essential Cooking Vegetarian".