Recipe by azdewdrop
Delicious rice and bean dish with a great aroma. I find it to be a very comforting food. It's healthy and full of fiber but still tastes wonderful! I usually make it the night before and take it to work for lunch the next day; it's good reheated. I always cook for one, myself, so this is a single serving recipe, but I'm sure it can be easily multiplied.
Top Review by LogicallyLocked
This was a little bland, but perfect to go with my jerk chicken. I didn't have brown rice, so I made jasmine and I cooked it in coconut milk with jerk seasoning and a little cayenne (then I followed the recipe exactly); it made a great compliment to my chicken! I'm sure we'll be making this again!
- 3⁄4 cup cooked brown rice (cooked measure)
- 1⁄2 cup cooked black beans (cooked measure for dried rinsed black beans) or 1⁄2 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 ounce raw almonds, slivered
- 2 -3 teaspoons cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons raw onions, chopped
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- If using dried black beans, cook and set aside. If using canned black beans, rinse and set aside.
- Prepare brown rice as indicated on package. Usually 1/4 c dry rice makes 3/4 c cooked rice. Set cooked rice aside.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan. Sautee chopped onions and slivered almonds in the oil until lightly browned.
- Stir in cooked rice, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in black beans.
- Continue to stir-fry ingredients until everything is hot.
- Put contents of frying pan into serving dish.
- Stir in mozarella cheese.