Recipe by Sue Lau
A taste of springtime! Try this as the base for your strawberry shortcake for a different twist!
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped rhubarb
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease bottom of 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Mix together brown sugar, sugar, and butter; add eggs, blending well.
- Mix in buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, walnuts, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add to wet ingredients, stirring until mixture is just moistened.
- Fold in rhubarb.
- Pour batter into greased pan; bake at 350 degrees F.
- for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes in pan; then remove to cool on a wire rack.