Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
These cookies are easy-to-make, moist, and include a lot of nutritious good stuff. The recipe is an adaptation of a couple of other recipes found on-line.
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup thick-cut oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds (optional)
- 1 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- Spread walnuts on parchment paper on cookie sheet. Bake at about 250 degrees for about 20 minutes. Set out to cool.
- Use mixer to cream butter and sugars.
- Add pumpkin, vanilla, and egg and mix just until incorporated. (You're done with the mixer.).
- By hand, stir in oats, cranberries, and flax seed just until blended.
- In a separate bowl, measure flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Sift dry ingredients into pumpkin/oat mixture.
- Add walnuts.
- Stir by hand ONLY until all dry ingredients are incorporated and dough is uniform.
- Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
Mmmm - very tasty! I wasn't sure what was meant by 'thick cut oatmeal' was so I used steel cut oatmeal. Not bad but it gave a little extra 'nutty' kind of texture. Very tasty but I think next time I'll 'bump it up' and use old fashioned oats, add a little more nuts (for taste) and cranberries and, possibly some chopped dates and add a little more spices. Thanks for the tasty and healthy recipe!
What tasty little cookies these are! I have made them twice now (my boyfriend just devours them) and this is definitely a recipe that I'll keep making. My changes: whole wheat pastry flour instead of white flour, I doubled the cinnamon, and I added two teaspoons of almond extract. Thank you for posting.