Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Mmmmm, I love pistachio & orange! I also love pistachio ice cream! Perfect combo! From the Californian Pistachio Comission - thanks, dudes!
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup pistachios, blanched & chopped (natural California)
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, finely grated
- Heat half-and-half in saucepan; stir in sugar and salt.
- Pour a small amount of hot half-and-half into egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Return yolk mixture to half-and-half; cook and stir over medium heat about 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened and creamy. Do not boil.
- Cool. Stir in vanilla and heavy cream. Chill. Pour into freezer container; follow manufacturer's directions for freezing.
- Add pistachios and orange peel when almost frozen; freeze until firm.
- Allow ice cream to stand at least 2 hours in refrigerator-freezer to mellow flavors.
- Blanching Process:.
- Drop shelled nuts into boiling water, remove from heat and let them soak for about one minute.
- Drain and rub the pistachios with a clean kitchen towel.
- To dry, spread on a large baking sheet in an oven preheated to 300 degrees F. for 10 to 15 minutes.