Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Find garam masala in the international aisle of your supermarket or try Quick Garam Masala. This bakes up in about half the time for a conventional meat loaf.
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried red lentils
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup dried apricots, chopped or 3⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala or 2 teaspoons jamaican jerk seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mango chutney
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mango, chopped
- cilantro (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring lentils and 3 cups of water to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until tender, 10 to 15 minutes, drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil and cook carrots, apricots, onion, celery, garam masala, and garlic until tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cooked lentils, carrot mixture, brown rice, 2/3 cup of chopped nuts, half the chutney, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Press mixture firmly into a deep dish pie plate; bake, uncovered, 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining chutney, red pepper, mango, and remaining nuts.
- Spoon mixture on top of meatless loaf; bake until heated through (160 degrees F) about another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro; cut into wedges to serve.