- 2 heads romaine lettuce or 2 heads butter lettuce
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- For the salad: Chop lettuce into bite-sized pieces.
- Top lettuce with drained mandarin oranges and toasted slivered almonds.
- Slice red onion and add to salad.
- Toss everything together.
- For dressing: Mix together sugar, red wine vinegar, mustard, poppy seeds, and salt. Once all other ingredients are mixed together, add the oil and mix well.
- Serve salad and dressing separately to avoid a soggy, wilted result.