Cook1 hr 30 mins
In response to a request, this recipe came from Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook.This is a one dish meal that is perfect to take along on day hikes or to eat at home!
- In medium saucepan, cook the lentils in the water until soft, about 45 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Cook the onion and garlic in the oil, stirring, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the carrots and celery.
- Simmer, covered, until the carrots are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the lentils, vegetable mixture and remaining ingredients.
- (In response to the loaf being a little dry, you could add in about 1/8 cup broth or cooking water here to make it moister).
- Spoon into an oiled loaf pan.
- Bake until firm, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- (Or let the loaf cool and wrap it in foil for transport. On the trail, slice and serve loaf as is, or use the slices in sandwiches.).