Recipe by The Miserable Gourmet
I love store bought Filo Pastry. It keeps well in the freezer or refrigerator. I make many things with it, from sweet to savory, and this is one of my families favorite.
- 8 ounces phyllo pastry sheets
- 1 1⁄4 cups sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup egg white
- cooking spray
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the filling by briskly stirring together the whole egg, brown sugar, and pecans. Set aside.
- Prepare by setting out your ingredients, a pastry brush, and cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Set the oven to 350.
- Follow the directions on the box of Filo dough to help keep the sheets moist while working to make these.
- Lay out one sheet of Filo dough and brush with egg white, layer next sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray.Continue until you have done 5 sheets.
- After you've set the fifth sheet down, sprinkle 1/2 cup almonds over the top evenly.
- Continue alternating egg white and cooking spray with another 5 sheets of dough.
- Next, gently spread the filling mixture, taking care to spread it evenly without damaging the layers of dough.
- Add the next sheet and continue as in the beginning by alternating sheets brushed with egg white, and sheets sprayed with cooking spray until you again have 5 complete.
- Spread another 1/2 cup of almonds over the top, and continue again with the layering of the Filo dough sheets until all sheets have been brushed/sprayed.
- There should be twenty sheets total and you should have three filled "layers".
- Cute the large rectangle into quadrants and layer them on top of one another. Place the layered pastry onto a prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for approx 40-50 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool and then cut into 9 pieces.