Recipe by mailbelle
This is a savory meat-less loaf. It has an interesting mix of ingredients (potatoes, peanuts, mushrooms, cilantro, sun-dried tomatoes, plus more) and an interesting sauce (sour cream, tomato paste, honey, cilantro). Haven't tried it yet but thought it might be a good meatless meal - sounds filling.
Top Review by kaineckm
Takes a little time, but the results are well worth it!! I substituted cremini mushrooms for extra earthiness. This dish was excellent, especially for a bunch of vegetarians!! Thank you!
- 2 tablespoons butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 1 lb potato, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1 1⁄3 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 1-lb loaf pan. Bring a pan of lightly salted water to a boil and cook the potatoes for 10 minutes, until cooked through. Drain well, mash, and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic and fry gently for 2-3 minutes, until soft.
- Finely chop the nuts or process them in a food processor for 30 seconds with the breadcrumbs.
- Mix the chopped nuts and breadcrumbs into the potatoes with the egg, cilantro, and stock. Stir in the onion and garlic and mix well.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the skillet, add the sliced mushrooms, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Press half of the potato mixture into the base of the loaf pan. Spoon the mushrooms on top and sprinkle with the sun-dried tomatoes. Spoon the remaining potato mixture on top and smooth the surface. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 350° for 1 hour, or until firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, mix the sauce ingredients together.
- Turn out the loaf, cut into slices, and serve with the sauce.