Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You will love this cake! --- source Pillsbury/ submitted by Ester Tomich
Top Review by vrvrvr
This is a family favorite in our house. It was the 1978 Grand Prize winner at the Pillsbury Bakeoff, submitted by Esther Tomich. She intended it to be made exactly per these directions, i.e., to mix everything at once, and doing so produces excellent results. The cake is moist, bursting with flavor and delicious. The original recipe calls for half of the glaze amounts listed here, which is usually how I prepare it (plenty of glaze). Thanks for posting this on recipezaar. It's GREAT!!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely crushed graham cracker crumbs (14 squares)
- 1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 teaspoons half-and-half cream or 8 teaspoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan OR a 12-cup Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, mix all cake ingredients, except the nuts, beat for 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Stir in nuts by hand.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes, or until cake test done.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, run knife around the edges, lift off and remove from sides, OR invert (if using a Bundt pan).
- FOR GLAZE: In a small saucepan, combine 4 tbsp brown sugar, milk and butter, cook over low heat just until sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in icing sugar, blend until smooth.
- Drizzle over cake; sprinkle with nuts.