Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
New England in the North Eastern region of the USA is well known for it's emphasis on seafood and the Naughty But Nice Gang would like to invite you to feast on our Nutty for New England Naughty but Nice Crab Burger burger. Combining a luscious crabcake with shrimp, tartare and the best fresh dressings from the region this is one burger that is sure to please and impress. We suggest pairing with a glass of Snow Farm Vineyard '05 Estate Seyval Blanc or an Atlantic Amber beer from New England Brewing - Created for Build A Burger - Team Challenge - Zaar World Tour III. Thanks to LittleBee for her kind contribution to this recipe. (Hers is found here-- Classic Old Bay Crab Cakes) http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=3041468
- 1 slice bread, dried and crusts removed
- 1⁄8 cup milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 lb fresh crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil (vegetable)
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, 2 x 0 . 5 slices
- 6 tablespoons onions, caramelized
- 3 1⁄2 ounces shrimp, boiled
- 2 slices tomatoes, fresh sliced
- 4 pieces frisee (eg oakleaf etc) or 4 pieces other curly leaf lettuce (eg oakleaf etc)
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄8 cup sweet pickle relish, drained
- 2⁄3 teaspoon instant minced onion
- 2⁄3 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices white bread, thick slices toasted (Wonder hot dog buns)
- Carefully run fingers through crab meat, being sure not to break lumps, picking out excess shell.
- Break up bread pieces, and add milk and toss in bowl.
- Beat eggs, in a mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, baking powder, and seasonings to this mix, throughly stir this.
- Add crab meat carefully to bowl of mixed ingredients, and with spatula or hands, mix just until moistened.
- Form a burger gently, and let sit for at least 30 minutes in a refrigerator.
- Melt butter and oil in skillet, just until melted. Carefully add crab burger to skillet, and brown on each side, and just heat through.
- Serve sitting a top a Wonder hot dog roll, or two pieces of white bread, coupled with side additions. Feel free to add, caramelized onion, a couple of steamed shrimp, tomato, cheddar cheese, (Vermont), Boston lettuce and tartar sauce.
Reviewed for ZWT III. These crab burgers were excellent! Very easy to make and the whole family enjoyed eating them - even my DS who is only 5 years old and normally won't even look at crab meat let alone eat it :) Thank You!
I love these crab cakes! I made 6 of these today to pack in lunches. I never have been very good at making crab cakes but I think putting them in the fridge really helps them stay together more. Im not sure how many slices of bread I used since I used fresh bread crumbs I had pre made. I dont like shrimp or tartar sauce so I just topped mine with bread, but everyone else loved the tartar sauce. Excellent burger! Made for ZWT 3!
The flavors in this burger were great. I also had a challenge keeping the burger from falling apart. I also felt that the bread overwhelmed the crab (we tend to be purists and not use many fillers with our crab). I didn't have all the fillings on hand and that may have made a significant contribution here. Next time I'll have everything available. Thanks!