Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
My dad just made these today, and we all loved them!
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups cooked and cooled chickpeas, liquid reserved
- 1 cup roasted almonds, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled saltine crackers
- 3 eggs (recommended) (optional)
- olive oil, as needed
- Heat oil in large heavy frying pan over medium high heat.
- Fry onions until tender but not brown, stirring often.
- Place chickpeas and garlic in a large bowl and mash well.
- Stir in the fried onions, the spices, and the nuts and cracker crumbs.
- Add the eggs if you are using them and enough reserved fluid from cooking the chickpeas to make a very thick mixture, the consistency of meat for meatballs. If you are not using eggs the mixture will hold together better if you let it sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Form balls about 1-2 inches in diameter, slightly flatten them, and drop them into the same frying pan that you cooked the onions in with enough oil to cover the bottom.
- Cook them for about five minutes to a side till they are browned and slightly crispy.