Recipe by Bec
Curly endive is a salad green with frilly, narrow, dark green leaves that curl at the edge. This prickly green adds a pleasantly mild butter taste to the pizza. From a vegetarian cookbook I have.
- 1 small red onion, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups torn curly endive lettuce or 4 cups spinach
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) prebaked Italian bread
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese (4 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts or 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup shredded colby cheese (4 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium skillet cook red onions and garlic in hot oil till tender but not brown.
- Add the endive or spinach and crushed red pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Place bread shell on a 12-inch pizza pan or large baking sheet.
- Sprinkle Swiss cheese evenly over bread shell.
- Top with endive mixture and toasted nuts.
- Sprinkle Colby cheese over the top.
- Bake at 425 degrees about 10 minutes or till cheese melts.
- Cut into wedges.