1/1 Photo of Nutty Coffee Bars
In these bars, a buttery shortbread crust is topped with a very nutty mixture. The rich result is somewhat reminiscent of pecan pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso or 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (or a mix) or 1 1/2 cups pecans (or a mix) or 1 1/2 cups almonds (or a mix)
- 1To prepare shortbread crust:.
- 2Heat the oven to 375*F (190*C).
- 3Line a 9-inch square baking pan with foil; lightly butter the foil.
- 4Mix the flour and sugar in medium bowl.
- 5Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 6Press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- 7Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- 8Remove the pan from the oven to a wire rack.
- 9Cool slightly.
- 10To prepare the nutty topping:
- 11Stir the egg and instant coffee in a medium bowl until well blended.
- 12Stir in the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and vanilla until well blended.
- 13Stir in the nuts. Spread the mixture evenly over the warm crust.
- 14Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the topping is firm around the edges and slightly soft in the center.
- 15Cool the bars completely on a wire rack.
- 16Cut into bars to serve.
- 17Store in a tightly covered container.
- 18Note: You can double this recipe and press the crust mixture firmly onto the bottom of a buttered foil-lined 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan. Bake 20 minutes or until very lightly browned. Spread the topping over the warm crust. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping is firm around the edges and slightly soft in the center. Makes 3 dozen bars.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nutty Coffee Bars
Serving Size: 1 (794 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.0
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 27.2 mg
- Sodium 15.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 2.8 g